Sunday, November 13, 2011

BUG 'UTCH #4: BOY MEETS GIRL/HUSBAND

SONG: BOY MEETS GIRL - Listen

Originally titled Did You Really Think We'd Make It, Girl? but it felt a little clumsy, and this shorter, more to the point phrase came to mind, even though the lyrics don't reside in the song. This is a question I have always wanted to ask any party involved in a relationship when it becomes clear there is no future left.  And more: Did we always really know that it was never gonna work; and did we think that "really working at it" would somehow pull us through? 

But of course, how could any of us answer so dispassionately? And besides, we're all on our best behavior, initially. It is only later when our guard slips that we start to show the demons that lurk. Hmm ...


Anyway, I had the melody & lyric floating around in my head for quite awhile, and I must admit I wasn't sure if there was something a little familiar about it. (Was it something I'd heard in another's song long ago?) After months of racking my brains, Fuck it, I thought, let's do this.


When I started to build the recorded track, the verse came quickly. I put all the music together, and would have liked some real instruments in there, but somehow electronics painted a pretty enough picture. The second half of the midd section, though, gave me concern. I thought a neat lil guitar solo would be nice ... so, I waited and waited. While I was waiting, I thought about approaching a real rapper to sell his pitch regarding the above (main) question as an alternative to the solo. And then I decided, why don't I do the rap about waiting for the guitar solo that never came. Et voila—Done & dusted!

SONG: (I'm) Looking For My Husband Listen

This was a message left on my answering machine one day by Mrs Q, and as many song ideas originated from quirky exchanges between us, this struck me creatively quite keenly. Though initially, it was in jest—we kicked around the idea between us. What about a song where the wife is running around all over town looking for her mate, and every time she enters the husbands place of whereabouts, he is leaving (unbeknownst of her arrival) by another other exit? we thought. Well, as it happens, as the song started developing, it took on a melancholy twist, where the husband has actually left the relationship and the wife is finding it difficult to let go. So.

I had wanted some orchestration in the song, but alas it was not to be. Again, the very wonderful Laurence Whiteley on guitar. Thank you, LRW. Nice!

RTQ

No comments:

Link Referall


free web site traffic and promotion


BlogUpp!